11 Affirmations to Heal Emotional Abuse
The following information and affirmations can be found on Overcoming Powerlessness a great website also about overcoming emotional abuse.
An affirmation is a positive statement that when repeated, produces a change in your thought patterns and beliefs. It is an effective technique to put the power to change in your hands. Affirmations are used for a successful recovery from emotional abuse.
When the following are repeated over and over, they will become a part of your belief system.
Download the audible version of these affirmations to listen and repeat daily.
- I have a fundamental right to a nurturing environment. I seek to live a peaceful life, free from emotional abuse.
- I am a valuable human being. I have the right to be treated with respect. If I allow myself to be mistreated, I am teaching that it is okay for others to abuse me.
- I will not assume responsibility or accept blame for any abusive behavior. I am not causing the unhappiness in my abuser.
- I am choosing to believe in myself whether or not anyone else does. Approval from others is not essential to my well-being.
- It is my responsibility to guard my own safety. I can’t force someone to change, but I can create more distance when someone abuses or violates my personal rights.
- I am learning to take care of myself. I do not have to feel guilty for allowing others to take care of themselves.
- I am developing my own character and identity rather than being submerged into what other people think I should be.
- I am not a failure or less of a person because I make mistakes. I expect success and failure as part of who I am. I know that I am not perfect.
- I can be powerful, creative, and assertive when necessary. I have enough confidence to believe that I can handle all kinds of circumstances.
- I will confront my abuser when it is appropriate and safe. It is the only way to stop the abuse and restore healing to our relationship.
- I am confident and optimistic about the future. I believe that my higher power is transforming my brokenness and gently carrying me from the darkness to light.